Finally a Google based GMail notification system for your desktop. When you enable this feature a pop-up message will alert you to any new email or chat messages that arrive depending on your individual settings. Currently, Google Apps Gmail notifications only work if you are using Chrome as your browser. A nice feature regarding the desktop notification is that a pop-up will still appear when Chrome is minimized. There have been many 3rd party alternatives for GMail notifications but this one is straight from the Big G.
Please Note that the Desktop Notification currently only functions when using Google's Chrome browser!
- Log in to your GMail or Google Apps user account.
- Click on the Gears icon located near the upper right and select Settings
- Be sure that you are under the General tab in Settings. Scroll down to the Desktop Notifications: section. Here you have a few options. You can either turn on of off Chat notifications or you can turn on or off New mail notifications.
- The following screen shot demonstrates how the notification will look when a new email has arrived.
GMail Desktop Notifications Tips and Best Practices
- Currently only works in chrome
- Be sure to allow desktop notifications through mail.google.com
- A desktop reminder will still display when Chrome is minimized so you don't have to worry about any missed emails or chats
Last Updated on Saturday, 20 October 2012 21:36